Feelings of stress on the rise again? Of course they are. You have too much on your plate or maybe not enough.
This is life in the modern world. It is more or less impossible to be any kind of millennial these days and not experience frequent bouts of intense stress. The difference between those who are successful and those who aren’t is not whether or not you suffer from stress, but how you deal with it when you do. So we’ve curated our top 10 ways to help you alleviate stress.
1.Stay organized – Did you know just sitting in a cluttered room can create stress? Even if you think you are unaware, on a subconscious level you are dialing into everything around you. Studies show there is a direct correlation between the two. According to CRNA Consultant Sanja Tunajek of Wellness Milestones, Living in a cluttered home can create subtle, low grade stress. Anxiety over clutter messes with your brain’s alpha waves and interferes with your sleep, making you more fatigued, and impacts your hormone levels. Clutter also drains us of our time. People in cluttered homes spend extra time looking for lost items such as keys, money , shoes, tools, and the remote. The American Demographics Society reports that Americans as a whole waste 9 million hours per day searching for misplaced items, and 23 percent of adults say they pay bills late, with penalties, because they lose them.1 Buy back time and alleviate stress by getting organized.
2.Get some rest – Let’s face it, No one likes a grump. Sleep deprivation is real. We tend to lose sleep because of stress, but lack of sleep is just as detrimental. Lack of sleep triggers stress just as stress impacts sleep. No matter what your age, race, gender, or occupation, a lack of sleep will throw your system off balance. If you’re feeling stressed out, getting enough sleep should be one of your top priorities. Try to get at least eight hours of sleep every night, even if you feel like you can “get by” on less.
3.Find a hobby you enjoy – Stress can overwhelm even the calmest of people and completely monopolize their energy and attention. One healthy way to distract yourself and get some stress relief is to take up a hobby. Participating in pastimes you enjoy, like cooking and writing, gives your mind gets a break from anxiety and tension because you’re focusing on a completely unrelated activity. “A hobby is helpful because it gives another outlet to feel good, relaxed, and confident,” says Diana Evans Berman, LMFT, LCSW, an Atlanta therapist who has been practicing for more than 20 years. “Stress often comes from feeling out of control.”
4.Workout- Oh brother, where have we heard this one before? Well, we’re just here to remind you that working out helps you mentally as much as it does physically. Exercise essentially burns away the chemicals like cortisol and norepinephrine that cause stress. At the same time, vigorous exercise releases endorphins into the system. Endorphins are morphine-like hormones that are responsible for the feeling of elation, or well being that distance runners get from running. Other chemicals like dopamine and serotonin are also released in the brain during exercise. Together, these give a feeling of safety and security that contributes to off-setting some of the “internal” causes of stress, such as uncertainty, pessimism and negative self-talk.
5. Prepare yourself– You’ve probably heard the saying “if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.” We tend to put copious amounts of stress on our own shoulders by lack of preparation. Being late for work, missing deadlines, and not having enough money at the end of the month. These can all be avoided with proper preparation. Give yourself more time in the morning to be own time, make reminders in your phone of important dates, and create a realistic budget. These are examples of stress triggers and solutions that are self managable. Create your own sunshine by proper preparation.
6. Get Spiritual- Spirituality has many benefits for stress relief and overall mental health. It can help you feel a sense of purpose, connected to the world, lead a healthier life, relinquish control, and expand your support network. Often times when people feel overwhelmed you may here them exclaim, “I’ve given it to God.” Then, it’s like immediately whatever burden that may have existed is gone into the wind. Spiritually engagement also helps you find the inner voice and strength to overcome stressful people, environments, and situations.
7.Listen to uplifting podcast – Sometimes all we need is to be around like minded people. Oops, what if your environment does not conduce those like vibrations? A healthy mechanism is to listen to an podcast of your interest. Unlike music, which may stimulate certain or unwanted emotions. The right podcast will create an engaging atmosphere. Podcast usually feeds your mind/spirit, leaving you with a sense of community.
8. Go hang with friends and family- Some will say, these are the exact people causing their stress. If this is the case, we say to you spend some time in nature. If this is not you, remember time with family and friends can remove the edge of the world. You don’t have to prove anything (unless you do) . They’ve known you your whole life, so anything you bring to the table they can handle it, and they usually know just what to say to make you smile. However, we know some families can be a bit intrusive, if this is your family tell them all personal questions off limits until further notice.
9. Slow down- It’s really just that simple. Slow down and breath. Often time we feel like the days of the world is passing us by. This belief constantly forces us into a box of anxiety. As the old adage goes, ” Slow down and enjoy the roses.”
10. Do your best- Because that’s pretty much all you can do. When you do your best stress may still exist, but it is very low compared to lack of preparation. Doing your best makes you feel good on the inside, which is most important. In Colossians 3:23-24 of The Bible God say, ” Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.” It pays to remember you are doing and living your life for a higher purpose. Don’t let the physicality’s and superficialities of this world get you down.