How to dress for your pear body shape?
Pears tend to store their weight on their thigh and their legs may be haevy. Often they have a very good upper body which is why much on the emphasis in dressing is on the upper side of the body.
What not to wear?
- Tops with ruffles on the shoulders
- Very short skirts
- Tops with narrow shoulder lines
- Pleats and pants with Tons of detailing
- kitten heels
Which garments are good for a pear body shape?
- Since your hips are a lot wider than your shoulders you want to emphasize the shoulders and widen them. So it’s actually good for pears when shoulderpads are back in fashion! Puffy shoulders will work too. Always make sure that the shoulders are properly fitted.
- To give the impression of longer legs and a shorter torso you can wear a a few layered tops with one very short, like a short jacket. This well break up your enlongated torso and give the illusion of longer legs. You can see an example of this in the left image at the top.
- Wear trousers that are not too tight or light. Boot leg trousers are very good for pears.
- Wear something catchy on top. Either a catchy colour or some nice detail on your top. Breast pockets, big collars or a pattern are also good. Horizontal stripes help to widen your upper body to bring it more into balance with your hips as do (subtle) shoulder pads.
- It’s best that your tops and jackets end either above or below the widest point of your hips and bottom
- Use accessories to further emphasize the top like necklaces and scarves.
- Waist belts may look good on you as they emphasize your small waist.
- You will look best if your trousers or skirt are the darkest part of your outfit.
- Wear structured A shaped coats of knee length. A great coat for you is the trench. Make sure you get one with lots of details on top (like lapels on shoulders) and plain from the waist down
- Wear a good bra
- A line dresses will always look good on you. Dresses with defined shoulders and a good a line are particularly good.
- V line tops will draw further attention to your upper half
- High boots are very flattering for your legs
- Be careful with high shoes or shoes with ankle straps as they will shorten your legs
- Wear medium to chunky heals with a bit of height to further elongate the legs.
Please note that the guidelines above are for general guidance only. Everyone is different and you certainly don’t have to stick to the above guidelines to dress well. If you have anything further to add, let me know!
How do you prefer to dress your pear body type?